Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink by Stephanie Kate Strohm

Release Date: May 8, 2012
 
A story of crushes, corsets, and conspiracy.

Libby Kelting had always felt herself born out of time. No wonder the historical romance-reading, Jane Austen-adaptation-watching, all-around history nerd jumped at the chance to intern at Camden Harbor, Maine’s Oldest Living History Museum. But at Camden Harbor, Libby is just plain out of place, no matter how cute she looks in a corset. Her cat-loving coworker wants her dead, the too-smart-for-his-own-good local reporter keeps pushing her buttons, her gorgeous sailor may be more shipwreck than dreamboat — plus Camden Harbor is haunted. Over the course of one unforgettable summer, Libby learns that boys, like ghosts, aren’t always what they seem.

When I first started this book, I thought (Sigh) Oh boy. Here we go. Not in a Hello-My-name-is-Megan-and-I'm-a-drama-queen kind of way, but in an I'm-pretty-sure-I've-already-read-this-story-minus-the-corsets kind of way.

I was ten kinds of wrong.

I loved this book. Honestly, even with it being a tad bit predictable, I loved it from cover to cover. I could most definitely relate to Libby in that I too often feel born out of time. I thought she was a hilarious and endearing heroine. I have to say though, as much as I enjoyed just about every character in this book, Dev stole the show for me! From his fashion obsession to his frantic sobbing phone calls to his ice cream diet, I thought he was a great character. I laughed through every appearance he made in this book.

As for the story, I was pleasantly surprised. As I said, I dove into this book with a not-very-sunny attitude. I was REALLY hoping for something new and different, and Ms. Strohm delivered. I really liked all of Libby's day-camp girls and their enlightening and funny input about Libby and her love interest, Cam. I also liked the idea of the haunted ship and I really liked where it took the story. I finished this book last night and when I woke up this morning, my first thought was to pick up this book and continue the story. I was actually really bummed out when I remembered I finished it. I can't wait to read more from Stephanie Kate Strohm though!

I don't want to give too much away, but just know that this is definitely one to buy. And what do you know? It just so happens to come out TODAY. Yay for you!

Happy Reading!

**I received this egalley from the publisher for the purpose of review.

No comments: