Thursday, September 29, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

So, who read it?

This was the September R4R book club pick. What did you think? Will you read the next one in the series? Who was your favorite character? Did you like the ending?

This book took a story from Greek mythology and put a modern spin on it. I would say that it was only *very* loosely based on the story of Hades and Persephone. My problem with this is I read a book earlier this year based on the same story. However, that book just happened to be my favorite book of 2011 (so far). This didn't come even close--it actually kind of tanked.

I have a confession.... This was my first time reading a Meg Cabot book. (Gasp!) And you call yourself a book lover?? I know, I know. While I liked the idea of the subject, I thought her writing style was hard to follow at times. Was it just me, or did some of the sentences seem like they were worded strangely? (Like that sentence! Ha!) Seriously though, I wasn't a fan that she'd hint at stuff CHAPTERS ahead of when we actually find out about what happened. I thought it was odd. Also, the entire book takes place over the course of about a day and a half. Also strange. That'd be one WILD AND CRAZY 36 hours. Really, I just felt like too much was crammed into too short of a timespan. This book was like a rapidly fraying rope--the end was all loose ends. Can't say I loved that either.

Pierce was a very flawed character. The book is centered on how "caring" she is, when in reality she's kind of rotten to the core. Her father is stuck with a 7-figure lawsuit because of Pierce, and she acts like it's no big deal. She causes trouble ("on accident")--people DIE because of her--and her parents are left cleaning up after her. She was actually quite a selfish character, and she acted like the victim the entire book. 

The main guy ("Hades") was named John. Really? JOHN?? Like a toilet? Don't get me wrong, I love the name John--for a grandpa or a baby or even a high-powered "suit". Not for a tall, dark, and handsome (teenage) Ruler of the Underworld. His name was John Hayden, actually, but I really wish the author would have just stuck with Hayden. (Love that name too. Much easier to picture a hot Hayden...) John was a complete jerk for 99% of the book and suddenly they (John and Pierce) realize they are madly in love with each other and hey, let's make out! Snore.

I was really disappointed in my first (and probably only) Meg Cabot experience. However, I am so glad I finally got the chance to read this book, and I'm even more glad I'm *done* reading it. Next month's book, Graceling by Kristin Cashore will be awesome though. I know this because I have very reliable sources. :D So, stick around. And let me know your thoughts on Abandon.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Jeigh said...

Thanks for the review. I've wanted to read this book for a while but now I'm not so sure :)

I'm a big Meg Cabot fan, though, and I hope you'll give some of her other books a chance, because this one sounds much different from her usual. Maybe the jump was just too big for her to pull off? I don't know.

I'd recommend the princess diary series, because the voice is hilarious. Also, her Airhead series was surprisingly much better than I thought it would be.

Jamie VanBeekum said...

I'm still waiting for it from the library. I'll let you know when (and if) I get around to reading it! :D

Megan @ Reading for Refuge said...

@ Jeigh:
All the Meg Cabot fans I've talked to about this book said that it was VERY different from her other books, and not in a good way. They all said the same thing you did-- to try the Princess Diaries series. So I'm going to add them to my sky-high TBR pile. I was really hoping I'd like Meg Cabot's books, since I've heard such great things about them for so long. Apparently I just picked the wrong book. :)

@Jamie:
I hope you get it soon! I'll be interested to hear what you think!