Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...

Let me start out by saying that just because everyone KNOWS the "unwritten rule", doesn't mean people FOLLOW that rule...

Example:

Everyone has had a friend like Brianna (and if you haven't, consider yourself LUCKY!--unless YOU were the "Brianna"...). She's a beast. Seriously. (I hate that name too, by the way. It just adds to my dislike of her.)

Sarah has been Brianna's shadow for most of her life. Brianna is beautiful. She's the super popular, curves-in-all-the-right-places kind of girl that all the guys want. Sarah's not. Brianna is the kind of friend that thinks her friends NEED her and she treats Sarah that way. Like she's doing her a favor by being her friend. And poor, stupid Sarah puts up with it.

Granted, Brianna's home-life is REALLY awful. Her parents treat her so badly, and it almost made me feel bad for her. Except the whole "beast" thing. She really just isn't a nice person, so it was hard to find sympathy for her.

Ryan seems like a sweet little doormat. I do actually pity him, but I am a glad he and Sarah are "thrown together one night," as the blurb puts it.

All in all, this book was kind of a dud, but I could relate to Sarah. I had friends like Brianna when I was in school and I applaud Sarah's decision at the end of the book. I think she made the right choice.

I wouldn't recommend this book on purpose. :) It's rind of a last-resort book. I'm a little bummed I paid 10 dollars for it and am wasting space on my Kindle for it... Oh well.

Happy Reading!

No comments: