Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan

Here Comes the Bride — If She Can Pass Chemistry.

Eighteen-year-old Bronwen Oliver has a secret: She's really Phoebe, the lost daughter of the loving Lilywhite family. That's the only way to explain her image-obsessed mother; a kind but distant stepfather; and a brother with a small personality complex. Bronwen knows she must have been switched at birth, and she can't wait to get away from her "family" for good.

Then she meets Jared Sondervan. He's sweet, funny, everything she wants — and he has the family Bronwen has always wanted too. She falls head over heels in love, and when he proposes marriage, she joyfully accepts. But is Jared truly what she needs? And if he's not, she has to ask: What would Phoebe Lilywhite do?

I'm not going to lie-- I miss these characters already.

I don't recall how I heard about this book, but I am so glad I did.

Much like Bronwen, I have always felt there was something "off" about my life. She happened to think she was born into the wrong family, while I felt I was born into the wrong era. We all have our quirks. Bronwen was just so darn likable. The book opens during the end of her junior year of high school. Bronwen and her family just don't relate to each other. Especially her mother, who constanly wonders aloud where Bronwen came from. Bronwen wonders too. They are completely different, like night and day... which may be what made the entire family, including her stepfather, her brother, and even her crazy extended family, endearing-- in a totally dysfunctional way. Let me tell you, I have been there. (Sigh.)

Then Jared came along. Sweet, wonderful Jared. I loved that his relationship with Bronwen was so real. It wasn't supernaturally fake or outrageous. It was everything you hope for with your first real love. I did a lot of soul-searching when I was in high school. Trying to figure out who I was and what I was doing and how I was going to spend my life. Like Bronwen, I had a plan. A plan to go to college, live on my own, have a successful career, and maybe somewhere down the line get married and see how I felt about having a family. And also like Bronwen, those plans changed. I was engaged right after my 19th birthday (November), married seven months later in May, and had a baby on the way by Christmas. So, I related to this story in a very personal way.

There were so many times I laughed out loud while reading this. At Jared, at Bronwen, or at something one of their friends or family members said or did. It's a rare thing to find a book that you can laugh out loud to. This was it, though. Don't worry, it'll have you in tears one or more times as well. I was. I really can't recommed this book ENOUGH. I loved it. Really loved it. As in, it's going on my Buy Worthy List. And then I'm heading out to buy it for myself. It was the first real book I feel like I've read in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I love my fantasy and dystopian and paranormal, etc. But every once in awhile it's so nice to read something that's just...not. Something, well, real. (Like I said.) Go get this now, and then cancel all of your plans for the next few hours so you can just sit and enjoy. You won't regret it.

Happy Reading!

No comments: