Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

You are probably thinking that I fell off the face of the earth. I, in fact, have not.
I actually have had six consecutive days off work and I haven't even been near a computer. It's been lovely.
I have been reading though.

I really liked this book. As I said a few posts ago, reincarnation is a popular theme right now. Spellbound is centered around this exact theme. I loved both Brendan and Emma. I also thought Angelique was a great character. For some reason, I'm drawn to the offbeat, quirky characters. I don't know why... Maybe we're kindred spirits.

Anyway, overall, I loved the story. Girl has crap life, girl meets boy, boy likes girl, hates girl, likes girl again, girl and boy have near death experiences... you know the drill. It was maybe a little predictable in some parts, but sometimes predictable is a good thing. In this case it was, at least.

I am excited for more books to come. While this could most certainly be a stand alone novel, there are also aspects of the story that could be continued. This is definitely one you'll want to check out!

Hope you all had an enjoyable holiday!
Happy Reading! 

No comments: