Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

Have you ever been so stoked for a book to come out and when it finally does, you read it and are a little bit disappointed?

Don't get me wrong-- I really liked this book. It just wasn't as good as I was hoping. Part of that could be because I read such an awesome book before picking this one up. Or part of it could have been me comparing it to The Goddess Test. Either way, it just wasn't quite what I expected.

I thought this was an interesting take on the Hades/Persephone myth. But the book just kind of throws you into it from page one without much explanation. I don't know that I loved all the "jumping around" in Nikki's timeline, but I did feel like everything was adequately explained by the end of the book.

It was kind of fun to have this book set in Utah, where I'm from. I don't think I've ever read a book set in Utah. Athough since I'm not very familiar with Park City, I still had to do as much imagining as I do with any other book. :)

The chacracters. I had mixed feelings about most of them, to be honest. I didn't think there was amazing character development, but the one person in the whole book that I really liked was Jack. He was the one constant, which I guess was kind of the point. And it's kind of funny- I usually go for the "bad boy" in books, and Jack wasn't anywhere close. It didn't stop me from swooning though!

I know what you're thinking.... She REALLY liked this book? I couldn't tell! But honestly, I did like it quite a bit. I'm excited to read the next book in the series, which won't likely be out until early next year. I know this is kind of a "blah" review, but this really wasn't a very memorable book for me. I remember really liking it as I was reading it, but when I finished, I wasn't "dying" to tell everyone about it. Which is a bit disappointing. You know?

Happy Reading!

No comments: