Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Release Date: May 31, 2011

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has always known she’s different from the other teens on tiny Nantucket, but it’s not until Lucas Delos moves to town that she realizes just how special she is. Facing Lucas in the halls of high school, Helen’s possessed by a powerful need to kill him--and she almost succeeds. But when their mutual hatred of each other transforms into desire, Helen and Lucas discover they are both Scions--descendants of Greek gods--and that their two families have for centuries been engaged in a deadly blood feud. As Lucas teaches Helen to use her powers, which include flying, controlling lightning, and an immunity to weapons (in addition to her gorgeous face, which she’s inherited from a certain namesake whose own face “launched a thousand ships”), the two grow ever closer--but can never be together until they find a way around the curse that’s destined to keep them apart.

Over the past few days, I have started reading three different books. The first one was boring so I put it down for awhile. The second I am still currently reading, but it is slow-paced and a lot to process, so I thought I would read something light to counteract it. I decided to go with this book, Starcrossed.

I have to say, this was not "light" reading. There wasn't any fluff to be found in these pages. And it's the only book I finished--because, quite frankly,  I couldn't put it down. I think the new trend in YA books is Greek mythology, and it's a trend I am loving! This particular book deals with demigods, the Furies, and the aftermath of the Trojan War. As I read, I was thinking that I really should have paid more attention during our studies of Homer and of Greek mythology. I'm certain that the reason I didn't pay more attention was because my teachers never made it as alluring as Ms. Angelini.

This book really stood out to me in that it wasn't a "boy-meets-girl, girl-swoons-over-devastatingly-handsome-mystery-boy, and-they-lived-happily-ever-after" type book. Honestly, the first time Helen sees Lucas, she trys to strangle him at school between classes. I kid you not. I loved it! (I'm morbid, I know.)
I thought the transition from pure hatred of each other to aching desire was done really well. It didn't feel forced or fake. As I read, I felt much the way Lucas and Helen felt-- in awe of the change.

This was another one of those forbidden romance stories that I just happen to adore. This one broke my heart though. I was so angry and hurt and confused by the abundance of betrayals and lies. There was a brief moment when my thought process went from "I love this book!" to "WTF?!?!?!" in about two seconds flat, but I promise that things get explained! If I could get past that one giant bombshell and still say that I completely loved this book (and can't wait for the second!), then you can too! Don't ask me what it is-- I'm not going to give anything away. This is one that you just have to read and experience for yourself.

Loved this book. So much. I really think I am going to be broke by the end of the year-- I keep reading these fantastic books and adding them to my "To Buy" list. Are you all doing that too??

Happy Reading!

**I am sorry that I seem to be half brain-dead lately. I need to get with it! Sheesh. Anyway, I received this from the publisher for the purpose of review. I forgot to mention that. :) Sorry!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

so are you keeping a calendar of when all these books actually come out! Cuz you are going to have to let me know, I can't keep track. or better yet, I want to be able to read them early. I want to be just like you! :)

The Martin's said...

I want to read them too! I went to buy it on my Kindle and found out it wasn't out yet. How do you get to read them early?

Megan @ Reading for Refuge said...

@ The Martin's: I received it from the publisher to review on my blog. :) Sorry I forgot to mention that in my post! Usually I do, I just spaced it. Kids do that to the brain. haha

Espana said...

Starcrossed is like all really good things that are slightly bad for you (i.e. shopping, chocolate-comfort food...)....(Hey chocolate can NEVER be bad, I resent that). Let me explain. You will love this book. You will love the characters- ALL of them primary and secondary. You're faith in YA books will be reaffirmed. You may even find yourself crying yourself to asleep from worry and the desperate need to know what will happen next. Your adoration of Josephine Angelini and Starcrossed will be a wonderful thing, like really exspensive forgein chocolate made with magic. But your thoughts will be overtaken by what will happen and of the scenes you have just read. You may find yourself no longer enjoying social contact, instead finding joy in the pages of Angelini's writing. Or you might read all night, thus not doing your work or properly eating and exercising.

Megan @ Reading for Refuge said...

@ Espana: Well put! And I completely agree. :) I still haven't gotten around to reading the second one, but once my current book pile dwindles, it's the one I'm going to read!