Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Timeless by Alexandra Monir

When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.
Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives.
 
  I have mixed feelings about this book. Most of me really wanted to love it, but a tiny part of me couldn't get past all the loose ends in the book.

The book description had me hooked-- obviously, since I bought the book. I have this thing for forbidden romances. I don't know why. But the thought of not just a forbidden romance, but a love separated by time? Count me in.

Timeless was slow from page one, so it took me quite a while to get into the story, but I liked it nonetheless. Michele and Philip (What is it with the one "l" spellings??) were believeable and real. I love characters like that. They both suffered tragic losses but survived them together. Their lives were interwoven long before they ever realized it.

The part that I am having such a difficult time with, like I said, is how many really loose ends there were. I'm not talking about cliffhanger loose, I'm talking about forgot-what-you-were-writing-about-and-where-the-story-is-going kind of loose. I realize that this is the first book in a series, but I am amazed that this made it through so many stages of being published without anyone picking up on some of the things I'm talking about.

That said, yes, I still liked this book. I loved the REAL cliffhanger at the end of the book. So much so, that I am dying to read the next book. This is definitely worth reading, and I plan on picking up the next book when it comes out to see if some things get clarified from this book. I can't wait to see where the story goes!

Happy Reading!

No comments: