Thursday, May 10, 2012

Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

Sixteen year old Channie Kerns leads an idyllic life of seclusion and magic deep in the Ozark Mountains ... until her family is forced to flee for their lives.

They leave everything and everyone behind to start over in Louisville, Colorado. Magic is forbidden while they are in hiding, but Channie can't resist the temptation to enchant a group of local boys. When her overbearing parents catch her flirting with these "sex-crazed, non-magical delinquents," they slap a chastity spell on her to protect her virtue.

The spell is triggered by lust, so just navigating the halls at her new school is an ordeal. She can't even touch a boy she's attracted to without blasting him with a jolt of magical energy that feels like a taser.

When Channie falls in love with Josh Abrim, a BMX racer with dangerous secrets of his own, she rebels against her parents and turns to dark and forbidden magic to break the chastity spell ... with disastrous results.

Since Amazon happens to be one of my very favorite things, it's no surprise that I am an "Amazon Prime" member. One of the perks of a Prime membership is picking one Kindle book a month to read for free. This was the first book I got. It sounded pretty funny-- a curse that will taser anyone that has "impure" thoughts about the main character? Definitely amusing.

Unfortunately it wasn't really actually that funny. And while it wasn't a horrible book, I am disappointed with the spike in lusty YA books being released. It seems to be happening at an alarming rate. I think that there is (or SHOULD BE) a very bold line between what is okay for a teen book and what is not. To me, an "anything-but" scenario just doesn't work as so-called abstinence. That said, do I like a good makeout scene now and then? Hello! I'm a GIRL. Of course I do. But do I think girls need to drop their pants or rip of their tops every time a hot guy walks by? I most certainly do not. 

In all honesty, this book wasn't as bad as some that I've read, but for some reason, I think this book was just the last, frustrating straw for me. There is a HUGE difference between lust and love and between romance and sex. They are not all one and the same, contrary to what authors are force-feeding teenagers these days. I have had enough! And I apologize-- I didn't mean for this to turn into a soap-box rant, but the more sex-filled YA books I read, the more angry I become about it. Can no one write a good book anymore without lust dripping from the pages? It's disgusting. 

Anyway, not one I'd recommend. The overall story wasn't bad, but I'm so mad about the constant trying-to-rip-each-others-clothes-off, I could spit. Argh.

Happy Reading!

P.S. The cover is super lame, by the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this but hopefully your next read will be better. And I agree, the cover is a little E.T.-ish

Talk Supe