Thursday, June 07, 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

I keep talking about how sick I am of Dystopian novels, yet here I am....reviewing another one. The ironic thing about this book is how many times I'd pass it at the bookstore or online, read the blurb and NOT buy it. (Exact number of times is undetermined, but it was A LOT!!) Then I started hearing little whispers about how amazing this book was.... and I STILL didn't buy it. I did, however, borrow it from a friend. AND NOW I'M WISHING I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT.

I think my "hang up" about this book (other than it being Dystopian) was the ages of the main characters. I know they are still considered "young adult" but fifteen just seemed too young for them to be saving the world and all that jazz. Yes, this is me now eating my words.... Chomp, chomp, gag, chomp,swallow, gag.

Ha.

Honestly, the last thing on my mind when I was reading this book was the fact that they were both fifteen years old. June and Day were both very mature, well-developed characters, and they acted older than their number-of-years. I loved reading the book from both June's perspective--she was, for lack of a more appropriate word, bad@$$-- and also from Day's perspective. It was hard to hate Day for what he was doing, so I gave up trying. His heart was in the right place, even if he went about it in a highly criminal way. :)

I loved this book. Get it from the library, borrow it from a friend, or for heaven's sakes, JUST BUY IT!! You'll be glad you did.

Happy Reading!

No comments: