Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Defect by Will Weaver


Maybe it was bad karma. Maybe it was just bad luck. Whatever the reason, fifteen-year-old David was born defective. His bug eyes, pinched face, and "hearing aids" are obvious, but there is a secret David keeps from everyone, even his foster parents. Terrified of doctors, wary of letting his guard down, David is determined to hide his secret at any cost. But then he meets Cheetah, a girl with a defect of her own, and suddenly his life begins to take wing.

Again... a slow moving book. Seems to be the trend lately. I started this ages ago and just couldn't bring myself to finish it. Finally I picked it back up last night (It's been gathering dust on my nightstand.) and I finished it. I never quite understood what point the author was trying to make. I could tell he was beating aroung ALOT of bushes, but he never really got around to just saying what it was he kept skirting. That annoyed me.

One bright spot in the book-- Cheetah. My favorite part of the book:
"Cheetah is my personal name for myself; my given name is Megan, but I've never felt like a Megan."
He looks at her. Rolls the window down a couple more turns. "What would a Megan feel like?"
"A Megan would feel great about herself all the time. She'd be a tall blond volleyball star who plays French horn and volunteers at the rehab center and has a perfect 4.0 grade point average."

Cracked me up, 'cause...you know, my name is Megan. :) Read this if you feel like it. It wasn't awful but it wasn't wonderful. Interesting. That'd be a good word to describe it. Happy reading!

No comments: