Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

This book wasn't what I was expecting--in a good way. I figured it would be a good book since it came highly recommended, but it was just...different...than I thought it would be. It was funny, which is what I wasn't really expecting. I was kind of expecting a doom and gloom, paranormal-world-coming-to-an-end type storyline. But it actually had quite a bit of humor. I loved this "bleep" book. (Read it, and you'll get this.)

Evie was-in a word- sassy. I thought she was a great character. She was funny and lovable and real. I loved how naive she was. Maybe that's a bad way of putting it, but she nearly died of excitement over a locker. Sheltered may be a better word. Evie spent her entire life locked inside "the Center", leaving only to do "bag-and-tag" jobs. She's had a full time job since the age of eight. I can kind of see how something as boringly ordinary as high school would be exciting for her. It was normal. And trust me-- "normal" is not synonymous with "Evie". I can't wait until the next book, Supernaturally, comes out in July to find out what'll happen with Evie next.

There were a plethora of great characters in this book, including (but not limited to):
  • Raquel--who had good intentions, even if they didn't pan out quite right
  • Lend, the shape-shifting hottie. Hey-I can describe him in a word too! Yum.
  • Alisha, the monotone mermaid (Bleep!)
  • Cresseda, who is made of water. No, really.
  • Reth, the creepy-hot fairie extraordinaire (Did I mention hot? Male fairie=hot. Maybe.)
Among many others.

This was such a fun read and I'm so glad it was recommended to me.
Now I'm telling you-- READ THIS!
And have a good time doing it.

Happy Reading!

No comments: