Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.

My mother always told me, "Never judge a book by it's cover." I'm sure she meant that metaphorically, but it applies to my life in more ways than one. Unfortunately, I am often the victim of "cover lust". I see a book that's beautiful on the outside and assume that the inside will be just as beautiful. However, my experience with books (and people) has taught me that generally, the more breath-taking the outside, the more ghastly the inside.

(Don't be offended, all you beautiful readers. You have looks AND substance. :D )
(( Unlike this book. ))

Really? I feel like I've written this same review a lot lately--where I've liked one or more of the elements in the book but overall really didn't like the story. One thing I did like was that Haden (the main male character) could touch someone else while still looking at Theia and she would feel it. I thought this small part of the book had a lot of potential to add to the story, but the author chose not to really pursue anything with it.

Overall, I felt like I've read this same "type" of story, only done much better by other authors. Sad, but true. Kind of bummed that I bought it.... Live and learn, right?

Happy Reading!

No comments: