Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter

SPOILER ALERT!
This is the SECOND book in a series.
Book One: The Goddess Test (read my review of it HERE)
Release Date: March 27, 2012 

Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.
 

I loved this book, but not as much as I was hoping.

Would it make any sense if I said that I think there is a second book curse? In general, it seems like--for me anyway-- when I read a really awesome "series opener", the second book always falls a little flat. Even it I still love the second book, it's just never as good. Am I the only one that feels this way?

This book was that way. Although I loved it, Kate was a little too whiny and insecure, Henry was a little too distant, James was a little too broody, and Ava was a little too... Ava. Maybe I'm just too invested in these characters...

**I feel the need to insert a comment right now-- Keep in mind I read this the day AFTER my wisdom teeth extravaganza and I was heavily sedated. So it's highly possible I am being a bit over-dramatic (^^) during this review. 

I liked the story quite a bit, although it seemed a little uneventful at times. I was surprised, when I started reading this, that the story picks up after Kate's six-months-away-with-James. I thought there would be at least a chapter or two about her vacation. I liked where the story went from there though. And I have to tell you, there is a cliff hanger at the end that is going to kill you. Literally. You will die. But you must revive yourself before October when Goddess Inheritance is released. So you can die again. (I'm sure I will.) 

Overall, this was a typical fill-in-the-middle-of-the-series-as-fast-as-you-can-to-get-to-the-AMAZING-ending type second book. (Did you catch all that??) The only major difference between this series and other series is that this one is flippin' awesome. So click HERE to pre-order your copy. It comes out two weeks from today!

Happy Reading!

*I received this egalley from the publisher for the purpose of review.
 

No comments: