Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Hunger Pains: A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

WINNING MEANS WEALTH, FAME, AND A LIFE OF THERAPY.
LOSING MEANS DEATH, BUT ALSO FAME!

THIS IS THE HUNGER PAINS

When Kantkiss Neverclean replaces her sister as a contestant on the Hunger Games—the second-highest-rated reality TV show in Peaceland, behind Extreme Home Makeover—she has no idea what to expect. Having lived her entire life in the telemarketing district’s worst neighborhood, the Crack, Kantkiss feels unprepared to fight to the death while simultaneously winking and looking adorable for the cameras. But when her survival rests on choosing between the dreamy hunk from home, Carol Handsomestein, or the doughy klutz, Pita Malarkey, Kantkiss discovers that the toughest conflicts may not be found on the battlefield but in her own heart . . . which is unfortunately on a battlefield.

After seeing The Hunger Games for the second time with my husband, I was thinking what a downer the whole story is. Yay, Katniss and Peeta win and get to go home, but 22 other kids had to die for that to happen. So imagine my glee when I happened to be walking through my local Walmart (fully clothed, thank you very much. But I'm the only one that got the memo...) and I happened across this lovely little gem.

When I read the description of this book from the back cover (see above) I couldn't help but laugh. Could it be that I had found the silver lining of The Hunger Games that I'd been searching for? Why yes, yes I did. This is a fairly small book- At 157 pages, it was just the right amount of humor I needed. And even though it was still morbid, it painted the whole book in the insanely absurd story it was. Kids that kill each other? It's crazy! And scary. And something that I hope our society never ever comes to.

And while I absolutely loved The Hunger Games, sometimes it's nice just to have something to laugh about. This was exactly what I needed! While this was a pretty funny book, I would recommend saving the $11 I spent on it, and buying a *real* book. If you're dying to read it, I'd recommend borrowing it or checking if your local library has it. 

Happy Reading! 

No comments: