Thursday, April 19, 2012

Allegiance by Cayla Kluver

This is the SECOND book in a series.
Before reading this review, read book one in the series, Legacy.
You can also read my review of book one HERE.
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Only I saw Narian for who he truly was: a young man with courage and an independent mind, and made to pay for what was outside his control. He couldn't help his past any more than he could help the way those intense, deep-blue eyes pierced me and held me captive.

An eighteen-year-old queen in love with the enemy as their countries pass the point of no return...

Bound to a man she cannot love, Queen Alera of Hytanica must forget Narian, the young man who holds her heart. For Narian is destined to conquer Hytanica at the behest of his master, the powerful magic-user known as the Overlord. Alera doesn't truly believe Narian will fight against Hytanica-until Cokyrian troops attack with Narian commanding the charge.

Faced with the greatest betrayal a heart can know, Alera must set aside personal feelings and lead her kingdom through its darkest time. And when all hope, will and courage seem lost, she must find strength and remember that even the blackest night must have a dawn....

I'm sad that I forgot how much I loved this series and waited MONTHS to read the sequel to one of my favorite books from last year, Legacy. It also slightly amuses me how much one book can completely change my viewpoint of the story. Don't worry-- I still love this series!

Last summer when I read the first book, I was completely Team Narian. If you read my review of Legacy (which you can do by clicking above in my spoiler alert) I gushed and gushed about him. I was then devastated by how helplessly bleak the book ended, with no idea how my beloved Alera and Narian would fare in book two. As for Steldor, he wasn't even a blip on my radar. I had completely written him off as a character that would never be good for the Alera I adored.

So imagine my surprise when Steldor and all his charm snuck up on me and had me head over heels for him throughout most of this book. I'm not sure what it was that made me change my mind about him, but it may have had something to do with my opinion of Narian waning at times. Whatever it was, now I am thoroughly confused about what I want to happen in the final installment due out in November of this year.

While this book was rather long--490 pages--I thought the story flowed well. However, I really felt like this book could have easily wrapped up the series. In all honesty, I felt like it did. I'll be quite interested to see where Cayla Kluver takes the story from here. Plus, I'll admit that I'm pleased that I get to enjoy more of this series before it ends. I've said it before, but I am so impressed with the ability of Miss Kluver. She's just a teenager, for heavens sake! All I have to say is: You go, girl. (And keep going and going, because at this rate, I'll read your books forever!)

In short, GET THIS NOW. Or get Legacy now and read this immediately after. :)

Happy Reading!

*I received this egalley from the publisher for the purpose of review.

No comments: