Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.


In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

My sister's first reaction to this book, based on the cover and title was, "You're reading another vampire book??" So let me say, no this is not a vampire book. It's actually about reincarnation. Crazy, I know. Who writes about reincarnation?? Let me tell you-- Kirsten Miller does, and she does an amazing job at it.

I loved this book. I honestly couldn't put it down. I never thought I'd get so tangled up in a story about people who have lived over and over and over, but it's an addicting book. I liked Haven's character-- she was just a teeny bit "damsel in distress-ish" which bugged me, but I overlooked it because, in her shoes, I would probably be a little wish-washy too. I liked that she took control and sought out answers instead of waiting for them to just reveal themselves.

Iain Morrow... I don't really know what to say about him. I was torn in a love/hate relationship with him throughout the entire book, which I think was the author's intention. I can't say how that love/hate relationship ended for me, because it would spoil the book. 

There were quite a few crazy twists in this book and the concept was so intriguing that by the time it was over, I was wishing I had the sequel. And there will for sure be a sequel on this one. It's totally set up to be a series, although it very easily could have been a stand alone book, had the author not added one line to the end of the book. Either way is fine with me-- although I am excited that there will be more!

This a must read! Enjoy! 

No comments: