Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


You all know how I feel about werewolf books... cough,cough OVERDONE!, which is why I was a little surprised at how much I truly loved this book. It was so different from any other werewolf story I've come across. First of all, Calla is an alpha. Yes, a female alpha. There are Keepers and Searchers and Guardians-- and there are rules. Lots of them. No one rips out of their clothes to change to a wolf (Take that, Jacob Black). None of this gets explained right away though, so when the book began and Calla changed from wolf to human in front of the hiker she rescued, I was (naively) thinking, "Shouldn't she be a little embarrassed or trying to cover up or something? Maybe she just has an incredible body and isn't shy. Or she's overly confident. Who knows? Weird." (This was my actual thought process.)

This book is FULL of butt-kicking AND romance. Go figure, right? I thought it was so well done though. The love triangle between Ren and Calla and Shay had me so torn because they're both good guys. Usually, it's easy to hate one of them or to be fiercely attached to one or the other (Teams Edward and Peeta FOREVER!) but I found myself rooting for each of them at different times throughout the book. I'm curious to see how things progress in Wolfsbane, the second book in this series, due out next summer.

I loved this book, all except for the very end. I thought it was a little...rushed? And then it wasn't resolved very well. I get that it's supposed to be set up for a sequel, but it still felt like there was a giant build-up and then the conflict was too rushed and it just, well, ended. I guess the sequel will just have to be released ASAP so I can figure out what in the world happens! :)

Another great read! Don't bother trying to put this on hold at the library. This is one worth buying.

Happy Reading!

P.S. I don't do cover comments, but I have to say that this is by far my favorite cover of the entire year--maybe ever. So beautiful!

No comments: