Friday, November 26, 2010

My Ridiculous, Romantic Obessions by Becca Wilhite

Sarah Howard's first year at the university is everything and nothing she expected especially when a very cute boy named Ben in her Art History class starts to show interest in her.

Sarah feels like she's an average, normal, everyday girl. So, when Ben (to whom she secretly refers as Adonis because she thinks he could be a Greek god) begins to take interest in her, Sarah is in denial. For one thing, last year she was deeply crushed and humiliated by Jesse James a guy who she thought liked her.
She's determined not to get burned again. But in her heart of hearts, what she really wants is a Jane Austen kind of romance. Ridiculous, right? That kind of romance doesn t exist anymore . . . or does it? Sarah is smart and fun to be around and even pretty, despite her Medusa-like red curls. She even plays the guitar. (So does Ben!) Yes, Sarah is everything Ben has wanted. He's crazy for her, but Sarah is just not getting it. She's playing hard to get, and if she s not careful, she s going to lose a real hot gentleman -- her 21st-century Mr. Darcy.

I went to the library the other night to pick up a few books that I had on hold. After I got them, I figured I would roam around for a bit and look at books. I don't do this very often, but I didn't have my kids with me, so I decided to take advantage of it. I found this book. I loved it.

This was a really short book, maybe 200 pages? It was a cute story too. Sarah meets Ben -aka- "Adonis" (I laughed out loud when she called him that) and they become friends. Ben continually tries to make moves and Sarah just doesn't get it. He gives up and she realizes what she lost.

It's a classic story of "dumb" girl who doesn't believe a gorgeous guy would want her. There were a few bumps in the road that I didn't expect and that either broke my heart or made me laugh out loud, which made this book stand out for me. I really liked both Ben and Sarah's characters-- and Sarah's zany co-worker who is super smart but still says goofy, out-there things at random moments.

It's a clean, cute read, and even though it's not very long, it has a little bit of everything.
Enjoy!

No comments: