Tuesday, October 02, 2012

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova

For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave.
 
He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth.
 
His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he's heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he's suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods.
 
Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea...and now it wants him back.

 I have been wanting to read this book for months and I finally got to it. The Kindle version is only $6.39 on Amazon right now! I couldn't pass that deal up. So, I bought it, put down the book I had been trudging through, and dove right in. No pun intended. But it IS kind of funny. You know, "vicious deep" and all....

Anyway, as you faithful followers know, I have been struggling lately with reading. Me and books? We are NOT friends at the moment. Well, at least we WEREN'T... until I read this. I couldn't put it down (once I got past the 'What the heck is going on?!?' beginning). While the character development dragged and I didn't really love any of the characters, they grew on me throughout the book. And the story was interesting enough to have me wanting to read the next one- The Savage Blue due out next year. 

Mermaids and sirens and the like have been trending in the YA world it seems like. This year especially with books like Wrecked and Of Poseidon and Lost Voices (although this was released last year). I've been so excited to read these! Are there any books with this particular theme that you've been really looking forward to?

Well, I know that I've been a bit sporadic with my posts, but I finally feel like I am getting back into the swing of things. I promise if you don't see another post this week, I'll be back next week for sure.

Happy Reading!

No comments: