Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn

The bar code tattoo. Everybody's getting it. It will make your life easier, they say. It will hook you in. It will become your identity. But what if you say no? What if you don't want to become a code? For Kayla, this one choice changes everything. She becomes an outcast in her high school. Dangerous things happen to her family. There's no option but to run . . . for her life. Indivuality vs. conformity. Identity vs. access. Freedom vs. control. The bar code tattoo.

I have to start off by saying that I hate, hate, hate this book cover. I think the girl looks a little deformed and it's not how I pictured Kayla at all.

That said, I can't remember how I heard about this book, but the idea of it was so intriguing to me. I guess because it seems like we're really not far off from this becoming the "norm." (Which freaks me out a little, to tell you the truth.)

This book, although not awful, just never really quite "got there" for me. It was a really interesting concept-- until you get to the telepathy and telekenesis stuff. That was a bit too bizarre for me.

If you don't have anything else to read, pick this one up. But only if you REALLY have nothing else to read. :)

No comments: