Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Golden Spiral by Lisa Mangum

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!
This is a review of the sequel to The Hourglass Door. If you haven't read it yet (You want to read it!), do so before reading this review. Thanks!

His eyes. His touch. His kiss. Dante was unlike anyone Abby had ever met. Now he’s gone, and Abby will do anything to get him back…

The hourglass door has closed behind Dante, sending him back in time to hunt down Zo, Tony, and V. Abby knows that Dante, as a Master of Time, is the only one who can stop them from destroying time itself. She also knows that he will need her help. But almost immediately, things start to change and Abby’s worst fears are realized when Zo begins targeting her past specifically.

With each new change that ripples into her present, Abby’s life continues to spiral out of control. Her relationships with Jason, Natalie, and even her family, are threatened to the breaking point – and beyond. Zo’s power is greater than Abby ever imagined, and as she struggles to free Dante, she receives help from an unexpected – and unlikely – ally.

As Abby’s world fractures around her, she must face a terrible truth: either Dante didn’t make it through the door, or he is lost forever. So with Dante’s blueprints in hand, she begins construction on a new door, a new time machine that will either save Dante – or doom him.

The river of time is running wild, churning up secrets and betrayals, revelations and promises. With each new turn of the river, Abby faces a new challenge. Who can she trust? And how many more changes can she survive?

The bank is eroding, the barriers are thinning. And time is running out.
(Book Description from Good Reads)

I have to let you know, this is the second book in this series, the first being The Hourglass Door. I read The Hourglass Door last fall and enjoyed it. I really liked the beginning, the middle was a bit slow, and the ending-wow. I was bummed that I had to wait so long for this book to come out. Without the ending of book one--the way it was written and the events that happened-- I probably would have skipped this book. I am SO glad that I didn't. I really liked this book. A lot. :)

This entire book was fast paced, which I loved. I hate when books drag on and on... I liked Abby's character even more in this book. She was a lot tougher-- even though she was probably constantly freaking out on the inside, she kind of kicked butt. Everyone who's been following my blog this year knows my feelings on helpless women- "damsels in distress"- and Abby definitely didn't fall into that category.

Dante is just... Dante. I think my crush on him is about as huge as my crush on Edward. I have this picture of him in my mind... I will be so mad if they make this into a movie and cast someone really awful as Dante. Like Zac Efron. With a wig. It would be catastrophic. I'm just putting that out there right now. Please don't do a movie!

Anyways, on to the book now. I loved so much about it. I liked it a million times better than the first one, which for me is rare. Usually books go downhill after the first one. Not in this series. And of course, what is a good series without a major cliffhanger ending? The ending of this book was even better than the first book. Now I am dying to read the final book (I think there will only be three). Thanks a lot, Lisa Mangum. Thanks alot. ;)

P.S. READ THIS!! But read The Hourglass Door first!

No comments: