Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

Release Date: April 4, 2011
At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?

We all know this story--we've read it a million times. Girl becomes friends with evil Miss Popular (which is basically the equivalent of selling your soul to the devil), girl gets on Miss Popular's bad side, girl's life gets destroyed by Miss Popular, girl gets revenge. Even though I knew how this story would end, I enjoyed every minute of reading it.

Amy Holder has a wonderfully refreshing, hysterical writing style. I was laughing from the first page on, and I didn't want to put it down. Even though revenge isn't really my cup of tea, I liked "The Lipstick Lawbreakers" club and the havoc they caused. I like to live vicariously through fictional characters... don't judge me... and April Bowers was someone completely different from me, which made it even more fun!

I was hoping the ending would have given me just a bit more to go on, but it ended a little abruptly. I wish there would have been an epilogue-- "The Aftermath". Who knows, maybe there will be a second book?? (Probably wishful thinking.)

Anyway, this is a quick, hysterical, sit-on-the-beach-and-enjoy-the-sunshine-and-a-good-book kind of read. It's perfect for the final few weeks of summer and maybe, just maybe, it'll give you some funny revenge ideas--you know, if that's your thing. And even if it's not, the cover is just too pretty to pass up! Enjoy!

Happy Reading!

**I received this egalley from the publisher for the purpose of review.

No comments: