Thursday, August 11, 2011

Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

Gabriella has never spent a summer in Italy like this one. Remaining means giving up all she’s known and loved… and leaving means forfeiting what she’s come to know…and love itself.   Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bertarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents, famed Etruscan scholars, among the romantic hills. Stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds… until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.

And thus does she come to be rescued by the knight-prince Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father’s castle—a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi’s summer in Italy is much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

I hope you all saw my note last week after my review of Tris and Izzie that this book was FREE on Amazon. It may still be, but I haven't checked. My friend Stacy can attest to my mini-freak out when it was offered for free less than a week after I paid eight dollars for it. I called her to have her look it up and see if it was really free or if it just said that on mine since I had already bought it. Nope. Free. Argh!

So, I hope you all took advantage of that awesome deal. (Argh, argh, ARGH!)

I really liked this book. I didn't know if I'd "dig" the whole knights and chivalry and medieval-ness of it all. I was wrong. This book had action, adventure, and romance complete with forbidden love. I didn't want to put it down, couldn't put it down. When it was over, all I wanted to do was hop on Amazon, download the second book in the series, and hide in a closet with my Kindle so no one would disturb my reading. (I miraculously refrained.)

Gabi rocked. She fought right alongside all the guys, sword and all. She was independent and sassy and driven. She knew what she was going to do and she did it. Her sister, Lia, was pretty awesome too with her bow, but she's really not in the book much. In fact that may have been the only thing I liked about Lia--her mad archery skills. I thought she was quite the prissy little brat most of the time, to be honest. I'm glad it wasn't her story, or I probably wouldn't have even finished it. And I liked Gabi with Marcello. Blast you 700-year-age-difference!

I am anxious to read the next book in this series. I hope you all had a chance to read it too, and I hope you  liked it! If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, check Amazon. See if the Kindle version is still available for free. Even if you don't have a Kindle, you can download it and read it on your PC.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

The Martin's said...

When I saw it was free I totally jumped all over it! I loved it too and actually couldn't refrain from buying the 2nd one which I thought was equally as good!!

Chaleese said...

Best. Book. You will LOVE the second one. I actually really like Lia now. :) She is in the second one much more.

Megan @ Reading for Refuge said...

@ The Martin's and Chaleese: I'm glad you both liked it! I am excited to read the second!