Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Author Spotlight: Chantele Sedgwick

Hello all! I have decided that, on occasion, I'm going to spotlight an author on my blog. I am honored to have the opportunity to interview Chantele Sedgwick. Her debut novel, Not Your Average Fairy Tale, will hit store shelves and online retailers tomorrow! I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of this book which I will review on Thursday (P.S. READ ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM TO FIND OUT ABOUT A SUPER AWESOME GIVEAWAY!). Here's a sneak peek....

“Close your eyes.” The room began to glow.
I felt a twitch in my toes and grimaced as it traveled up my legs. Soon my whole body was tingling, the strongest near the middle of my back. A rush of warmth spread through me and I suddenly felt lighter.
I opened my eyes and met her amused expression.
“Perfect.” She smiled, admiring what I assumed were my wings.
I looked down and groaned. “I thought you said there wouldn't be any tights,” I said through clenched teeth.
She shrugged. I could tell she was trying not to laugh. “Sorry about that. We've never had anyone quite like you before.”
“Oh really? You mean you've never had a fairy godmother who was a guy?”

I'm so excited for you all to get a chance to read this book! But for now, I want you to meet the talented gal that dreamed it all up. 

 A LITTLE ABOUT CHANTELE:

Chantele Sedgwick grew up playing the harp and singing. Little did anyone know, she always had stories floating around in her head. After she had her second baby, she finally realized she should probably write them down. Pursuing publication was something she only dreamed about, but now her dream is coming true.

The discovery of a first love, first kisses, and the many emotions teens go through, pushed Chantele to find her niche in writing teen fiction. Some of her stories share a few of her own experiences, but most of them are just fantasies she wished happened to her as a teen. She's a sucker for a great love story and always enjoys a happy ending. She tends to have a thing for the "bad boys" in books, unless they're total jerks. Then she'll root for the good guy.

When she's not writing, Chantele can be found spending time with her husband and three beautiful kids, or driving her sisters crazy with random story ideas. NOT YOUR AVERAGE FAIRY TALE is her first book.

Now on to the Q and A portion of today's event (ha!):

 Q: I’m pretty sure everyone is thinking the same thing I am right now after reading that book teaser…. How did you dream up a MALE fairy godmother??
A: Honestly, I’m not quite sure. I wanted to do a spin on a fairy tale and had a crazy idea. What if the girl didn’t end up with the prince? And thus, Ash was born!
Q: Are your characters based on anyone?
A:  Kendall is loosely based on  my younger sister. Messy room and all. ;)  Ash just popped in my head one day, so he’s a character all his own.
Q: Where do you find your inspiration for your stories?
A: Out of nowhere really. Sometimes I get ideas when I’m driving, or in the shower. Other times I’ll see a story on the news or something and an idea hits me.
Q: Who is your favorite literary character? Why?
A: Oh, man! I hate this question! Lol  In terms of complicated characters, I’d have to say Snape from Harry Potter. I loved how he was written. One of my favorite lead characters is Isi from The Goose Girl. I loved her growth throughout the book and adored her personality.
Q: Is there a book that you can read over and over?  What one and why?
A: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. I just love the world she created and the love story is so cute!
Since I am a big fan of random questions, here are a few. 

Q: If you could throw a pie in anyone’s face (dead or alive), who would it be?
A: My sister, Chaleese. HA HA HA HA!!! :D
Q: Which Disney princess are you most like?
A: Probably Belle. She loves to read like me! 
Q: What is your favorite word?
A: Seriously? I have no idea! I tend to use the word “just” in my writing a lot. Not a good thing …
Q: What is your most embarrassing guilty pleasure? (Mine is Phineas and Ferb!I pretend to only want to watch it with my kids, but I watch it even after they go to bed. LOL)
A: I LOVE Phineas and Ferb! I also love video games. Shhh… Don’t tell anyone….
Q: What books are you anxiously awaiting this year?
A: I’m really excited to read REACHED by Ally Condie! And The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima! Pivet Point by Kasie West as well.  (That actually comes out at the beginning of next year…)
And finally:

Q: Tell us why we should read your debut novel, Not Your Average Fairy Tale, in 20 words or less.

A:  There’s magic, mystery, a love story and a hot fairy. What more do you need? ;)

I completely agree! What more do you need? 



Now I'm wondering, are you thoroughly intrigued about this book yet? If so...

Come back to Reading for Refuge this Thursday, August 2nd, to find out how you can win a SIGNED copy of this book!

I'd like to thank Chantele for taking time out of her busy schedule to let me interview her. And I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say congratulations on becoming a real, live, official author! :)

Happy Reading!

1 comment: