Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison

Tansy Miller has always felt that her divorced father has never had enough time for her. But mistakenly getting caught on the wrong side of the law wasn't exactly how she wanted to get his attention. Enter Chrysanthemum "Chrissy" Everstar, Tansy's fairy in shining, er, high heels. Chrissy is only a fair godmother, of course, so Tansy's three wishes don't exactly go according to plan. And if bringing Robin Hood to the twenty-first century isn't bad enough for Tansy, being transported back to the Middle Ages to deal with Rumpelstiltskin certainly is. She'll need the help of her blended family, her wits, and especially the cute police chief 's son to stop the gold-spinning story from spinning wildly out of control. Janette Rallison pulls out all the stops in this fresh, fun-filled follow-up to the popular My Fair Godmother.

Just so you know, this is a "follow-up" book, not a sequel. So you don't really need to read My Fair Godmother before reading this. But trust me, you want to.

I loved this book. I dare say (gasp!) that I liked it much better than the first one. Even though I really liked My Fair Godmother, I just couldn't put this one, My Unfair Godmother down. I loved Tansy, I loved Hudson, I loved Tansy PLUS Hudson.... It was basically a giant love fest. (No, not that kind, you dirty, dirty readers.)

I honestly felt really bad for Tansy. Her dad left when she was young, and although he kept in touch, Tansy never quite resolved her angry feelings towards him. When Tansy's younger sister lands a huge part in a traveling stage production, and their mother decides to be her travel buddy, Tansy gets shipped off to her dad's house on the other side of the country. Enter Bo. (Although we'd really rather he didn't...) Thanks to Bo--Tansy's bad boy boyfriend, Tansy ends up on the wrong side of the law, accused of something she didn't do. Enter Hudson. Then turn around, walk back out, and enter again....Yum.

I digress.

How wonderful is it that Hudson just happens to be friends with Tansy's stepbrother, Nick? Then he can show up at their house and pretend to be there to see Nick...in theory. Unless an *unfair* godmother happens to show up with Robin Hood and his Merry Men in tow, wreaking havoc in the 21st century. Then said fairy transports not only Tansy, but her entire family back to Robin Hood's time. Makes dating nearly impossible.

This was such a great read. I've really liked most of Janette Rallison's books. I think she's a great writer and I've absolutely loved these "Godmother" books. Both books in this series(?) are worth buying. I don't know if there are plans for a third, but I certainly hope there is going to be one. It's set up for a third, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed!

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Jeigh said...

Ah, this makes sense now. I read it, and I liked it okay, but I didn't feel Tansy was developed enough as a character. Maybe because I missed the first book? I'll have to check out the other one.

Jeigh said...

By the way, I have an award for you on my blog, but it won't post until Friday! I just didn't want to forget to tell you :)