Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Enchanted Truth by Kym Petrie

 Release Date: September 18, 2012
In this humorous and insightful tale, a modern day princess finds herself single and asking for magical intervention to change her sorry love life. Rather than casting a spell to bring Prince Charming to her rescue, a savvy fairy godmother gives the tenderhearted damsel an unexpected gift. By entrusting her true thoughts and desires to an unlikely confidant, the young royal soon discovers that the person who could make her life everything she dreamed it would be has been with her all along.

As author Kym Petrie herself realized, every woman needs a froggy friend and a secret journal—and enough adventures with the girls to keep her heart pounding and her mind racing. Life is meant to be about happy beginnings . . . you can never have enough of them.

Don't scoff at the measly forty pages of this book. It packs a powerful message for girls and women of all ages. 

This was told in such a cute, humorous way that I couldn't put it down. It only took me about fifteen minutes to read it from start to finish, and by the time I put it down, I thought I need to call Kaity and Hannah (my teenage sisters) and tell them to read this! It was such a good reminder that we, as women, don't need a man to be complete. We can be who we want to be and live the life we want without being completely dependent on a man. (But sometimes we find a great one and they take our lives from regular awesome to SUPER awesome and we never want to let them go....but maybe that's just in my case.... ;D)

I had a good friend in high school that was so obsessed with the idea of a "happily ever after". She thought that her life had absolutely no meaning and she would be a nobody until her "Prince Charming" showed up, swept her off her feet, and rode off into the sunset on his noble steed. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration because obviously there would not really be a horse involved, but you get my point. I saw how she built her entire concept of love and romance around this idea of hers and how that translated into her being terribly unhappy in all of her relationships. And trust me, there were a lot. I was there. For every. single. breakup. aftermath. It was exhausting. 

I think it's so important for girls especially (and women of course, because those girls grow up) to learn the importance of self confidence and learn that it's a wonderful thing to be a fabulous, young, confident lady and not have a man dangling from your arm. It IS possible to be alone. And it's not a scary thing. Sometimes we need a little work anyway before we'd be someone's "Princess Charming". There's no shame in being who you are. I think (and maybe again this is just me) that we (women) don't give ourselves enough credit. We are awesome. Don't forget it. 

READ THIS! Then buy copies for your daughters, your sisters, your moms, your grandmas, your best friends, whoever. Every woman needs this reminder every now and then. (Even I can grow from this empowering tale, and I have my Prince Charming and little Princes waiting for me at home every day). This was such a wonderful book and I am so thankful I had to opportunity to read it! And remember: A life full of happy beginnings is so much better than one happy ending.

Happy Reading!

*I received this egalley from the publisher for the purpose of review.

No comments: