Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross

Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of science with his automatons and inventions, but Finley is suspicious of his motives where Phoebe is concerned. She will do anything to protect her new friend, but what she discovers is even more monstrous than anything she could have imagined...

An ebook exclusive prequel to The Steampunk Chronicles.

I have had this novella hanging out in my Kindle library for a while (correction: a LONG TIME) and I figured that I should read it since I wanted to start reading The Steampunk Chronicles series.

Well, it was short and to the point--much like this review is going to be. This really could have been a decent story if it had just been a bit longer. I liked Finley--she had spunk-- but I felt like I didn't really have time to get to know her. I also liked Phoebe, but again, there wasn't enough of her.

I liked that I had this short story to introduce me to Finley, but I don't think any of the other characters will make an appearance in the following books. I hope I'm wrong though! While I wish this hadn't been told at such breakneck speed, it left me curious to see where the story will go from here. Stay tuned for my review of the official first book in The Steampunk Chronicles series, The Girl in the Steel Corset, coming soon!

Happy Reading!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh you will love Finley! But the character here have not made an appearance in the novels but who knows, maybe in the third book they will.