Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Highwayman of Tanglewood by Marica Lynn McClure

Faris gasped as a gloved hand of a sudden covered her mouth from behind. Be still. The Highwayman of Tanglewood owns ya now. Faris smiled...as he whispered, Do not struggle. Ill not harm ya, lass Come away with me, sweet Faris, the highwayman whispered. What say ye?

I say, who are you, highwayman? Faris breathed...All romantic thoughts of knights riding to win the fair lady were driven from her mind. A rogue's manner was vastly more delightful!

Aye! But that ye should know, sweet Faris, the highwayman whispered.

I know you not, sir, Faris said in a whisper. Surely I would remember such a shape of a man.

Indeed, would ya, lass? he asked.

I would, sir, she answered.

Tis well ya know who I am, fair Faris, he whispered, kissing her neck again. I am the Highwayman of Tanglewood.

A chambermaid in the house of Tremeshton, Faris Shayhan well knew torment, despair and trepidation. To Faris it seemed the future stretched long and desolate before her -- bleak and as dark as a lonesome midnight path. Still, the moon oft casts hopeful luminosity to light ones way. So it was that Lady Maranda Rockrimmon cast hope upon Farisset Faris upon a different path -- a path of happiness, serenity and love.

Faris abandoned the tainted air of Tremeshton in favor of the amethyst sunsets of Loch Loland Castle and her new mistress Lady Rockrimmon. Further, it was on the very night of her emancipation that Faris first met the man of her dreams -- the man of every woman's dreams -- the rogue Highwayman of Tanglewood.

Dressed in black and astride his mighty steed, the brave, heroic and dashing rogue Highwayman of Tanglewood stole Faris's heart as easily as he stole her kiss. Yet the Highwayman of Tanglewood was encircled in mystery -- mystery as thick and as secretive as time itself. Could Faris truly own the heart of a man so entirely enveloped in twilight shadows and dangerous secrets?

Every once in a while, I get a hankering for a good love story. When this happens, I turn to trusty ol' Marcia Lynn McClure. I have read (and liked) a good number of her books, and I have liked every one of them. This one was no different. In fact, I think this was my favorite of her books so far.

While McClure's stories are reliably predictable, I still love how completely I am drawn into her books. I love the characters (even when I think they have goofy names). I love the conflict-there is always someone defending a woman's honor. And I love the romance, the stolen kisses in darkened corridors or under a blanket of stars. Oh how I love it!

Sometimes a girl just needs a little romance. When that happens, turn to Marcia Lynn McClure (and read this)!

Happy Reading!


No comments: