Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Prodigy by Marie Lu

SPOILER ALERT!!
This is the SECOND book in a trilogy.
Read Legend by Marie Lu before reading this review!

  Release Date: January 29, 2013
 Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

Amazingly, I think I'm finally done throwing my temper tantrum and am ready to review another trilogy. Especially since the final book in this particular trilogy just came out TODAY. So now I feel a burning desire to get you all hooked on Marie Lu, too.
 
This may have been the best *second book* I've ever read.

Honestly.

And you all know I have serious problems when it comes THOSE.

I'm not sure what it is about June and Day, but I just can't get enough of them. They are not only awesome characters alone, but they are even better together. When I finished the first book in the series, Legend (review HERE), I felt much the same thing I always do when I finish a really awesome book that I know is going to be a series.....DREAD. It's sounds silly but I always cringe when I think about a continuation of a really great story. I have been let down so many times. And if it's not the second book that bombs, it's the final book (which I promise you is much more catastrophic. But we won't get started on that...again.) I have to tell you that Marie Lu absolutely knows what she's doing when it comes to a series. Instead of June and Day severely disappointing me with general stupidity and drama like other *cough* unnamed couples do in the "means to an end" (second) book--wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!--there was none of that to be found! They were just as crazy and adventurous and easy to love as they were when I first met them. Hallelujah.

I love when I find a story that I never want to end. One that still surprises me with twists and turns that I never saw coming. One where the characters are real and I root for them and hurt for them--sometimes at the same time. This is that book. This is THAT series. If you read on, even when I told you not to, I hope you are glad you did. I hope you want to read these books. Because they WANT to be read, they NEED to be read. And yes, I did cave and buy them because THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY. Now if I can practice self control and save Champion (the final book) for my trip this weekend... Will power! I can do this!

 ... Oh, pray for me. LOL

 Happy Reading!

No comments: