Thursday, October 24, 2013

Losing Faith

I really was going to post a book review today but I've had something on my mind literally all day that I wanted to talk to you all about.

So, recently a book was released that was the concluding book in a series. I'm not going to say which one it was (so don't ask), but it was a startling and incredibly huge disappointment. This isn't the first time this has happened and I feel like it needs addressing.

The problem is this: Writers building up a story, sucking in readers until they are thoroughly invested in the characters and what happens to them, only to write a CRAP ENDING. Like a REALLY crap ending.

Now I wouldn't have even brought this up unless something devastatingly catastrophic happened that pissed me off enough to broach the subject. And frankly, I'm frustrated and annoyed that this is even something I need to talk about.

Why are authors becoming more interested in a shock factor and less interested in 1) doing justice to a story that started out so fantastic, 2) the attachment of millions of readers, and 3) writing an ending they can be proud of?

It has made me lose faith in authors of series. Honestly. You all know that I have a difficult time already with "second books", and I rely on a strong ending to draw me back into a story and remind me why I loved it in the first place. I, as a reader, expect a CONCLUSION. I expect the characters, not necessarily to get a "happily ever after", but for the ending to be something that I can at least say, "Hmmm, that's not what I expected, but I liked it. I understand why the author did what they did and why it mattered to the overall story."

I always feel a bit frustrated when I wait a year (and sometimes two) for a conclusion to a series. But I always say that I would rather the author take their time and write a really awesome end. This particular series that sparked my outrage was one where I LOVED the first book. I finished it and wanted to read it again. I recommended it to everyone. The second book was much like they all are for me... I didn't love it but it was a means to an end. Then I waited almost TWO YEARS for what I expected to be a mind-blowing final book. I got what I wished for. Only it was mind-blowingly AWFUL. And now here I sit, stewing and totally mortified that I urged everyone and their dog to get invested in the series in the first place.

So please forgive me.

AND AUTHORS:
GET YOUR FREAKING ACTS TOGETHER. 
IF YOU CAN'T DELIVER A STELLAR ENDING WHEN YOU'VE WRITTEN A STELLAR BEGINNING, 
STOP AT ONE BOOK!

The end. 

And if you are wondering, NO, I don't feel better now. I'm still so disappointed it makes me sick. 

Happy Reading!