Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Release Date: January 8, 2013
A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.
Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!

The awesome thing about playing catch up on my book reviews is that I get to pick and choose what I want to review. And it just so happens that I'll be reviewing all my favorite books that I read this year instead of having crap books sprinkled in. Don't worry, those will come later I'm sure. 

A few years ago I read a little book called If I Stay (review HERE) by an author I'd never heard of named Gayle Forman. It honestly changed my life. It was the most breathtakingly, heart wrenching novel I've ever read. It was real and it was tragic. It was absolutely stunning. Ever since that life-changing moment, I have made it a point to keep my eye out for Gayle Forman's work. So I was absolutely thrilled when I saw that she had released a new book. 

Just One Day was just as beautiful as Ms. Forman's previous novels. It was different, and it definitely wasn't as heartbreaking as her other work, but I loved it just the same. There is just something about the words and the way these stories are told that draws me in and changes how I see the world. I think I would be hard pressed to find someone who can weave such a thoroughly captivating story as Gayle Forman.

I loved that this book was centered on self-discovery and figuring out who you are. I loved "Lulu" and Willem. I loved having this tale of love and loss revolve around "the city of love". And most of all I loved the woman the Allyson grew into because of her experiences in Paris with Willem. In fact, I loved it all so much that I'm currently in the middle of the companion book, Just One Year. So read this!! That way, when I post about the next one, there won't be any spoiler alerts.

Happy Reading!



No comments: