Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Stolarz


Some secrets shouldn't be kept...



Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.

I just want you all to know... I was fully prepared to give this book a very bad review. All that changed when I was finding the book summary on Amazon and realized that there is a BOOK 2. It's true. It's called Deadly Little Lies. (Don't look it up unless you want to spoil this book!!!!) I also want you to know that I just barely put it on hold at the library. :) Now... Book review.

The things I liked:

  • The whole book minus 1 page.
The things I didn't like:

  • The last page.
This was a really quick read. And when I say that, I mean I read it in a couple hours one night. I didn't want to put it down. It was definitely one of those books that sucks you in and you don't want to do anything else, for fear that it will break the spell. I loved everything about this book. I loved Camelia (even though I HATE her name--Not in general, just not for a main character in a book. I realize that I was READING, but it was still a mouthful.) I loved Ben, too. (Although I may be a bit biased on that point, because Ben is my son's name). The whole book was a bit intriguing, which I like. I'm a sucker for a good, suspenseful book. So, what was the problem, you wonder?? Just as I am turning to the last page, ready to breathe a sigh of relief that all is well and good, I was knocked upside down and kicked a few times. Not literally. But it felt like it.

HOWEVER, now that I know there is a sequel, I am feeling much better about things. Like the world is finally right again. Enjoy, and don't be too mad at the frustrating ending. I have a hunch that everything turns out alright in the end...you know, of the SECOND book...




No comments: