Wednesday, February 17, 2010

To Catch a Pirate by Jade Parker


Once caught, it’s harder still to let a pirate go.

When Annalisa Townsend’s ship is set upon by pirates in search of her father’s treasure, one of the crew, James Sterling, discovers her in the hold. When he moves to take her necklace, she begs him not to, as it is all she has left of her mother. He accepts a kiss in exchange for the necklace. “A fair trade, m’lady,” he tells her afterward, before disappearing.

A year later, with a forged letter of marque, Annalisa is intent on hunting down the wretched James Sterling and reclaiming her father’s treasure from him. But now she’s in danger of him stealing something far more vulnerable this time: her heart.


This was a quick, charming read. I don't know that I've ever read a book about pirates, so it was a fun change. Since it was set in the early 1800s (? I think) it was a clean read. They were very proper, and such. Well, except the pirates. Isn't that what makes it fun though? I read this book on Monday and loved every second. In fact, as soon as I finished, I took it to my sister so she could read it too. Even though it was a short book, I was very attached to the story. Anna is another one of those women you can relate to. She was a bit headstrong and determined, but also vulnerable. I liked her very much. James Sterling... I can totally picture in my head. Exactly. He is the guy that you would never in a million years admit to liking out loud, but secretly you are obsessed with him. A guilty pleasure. Kind of like a soap opera. :) By the time I reached the end of this book, I had been madly in love, heartbroken, scorned, depressed, giddy, and relieved. This is a book I'm happy to add to my collection. Enjoy!

No comments: