Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty


In The Year of Secret Assignments, a tenth grade English teacher attempts to unite feuding schools by launching a pen-pal project. Best friends Cassie, Emily and Lydia initiate the correspondence, and are answered by Matthew, Charlie and Seb. Emily and Lydia are more than pleased with their matches, but quiet Cassie has a frightening experience with Matthew. When Lydia and Emily discover that Matthew has threatened their fragile friend, the Ashbury girls close ranks, declaring an all-out war on the Brookfield boys. Soon, the couples are caught up in everything from car-jacking and lock-picking, to undercover spying and identity theft.

I have to say, I laughed out loud on multiple occasions as I read this book. Almost once per page for the first 1/3 of it. The girls reminded me of some of my friends when I was in high school and it was funny to read their interactions with their "pen pals." I loved how fiercely loyal these three girls were to each other. I loved the "tasks" they assigned each other. Over all, I thought this was a fun read. The language in a few parts and some of the things said were a bit inappropriate, but if you can get past that, the storyline was pretty decent. I would recommend this book, but not to everyone.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I really liked this book! Great review :)

Megan @ Reading for Refuge said...

Thanks Sara! And thanks for finding me on here! Hope to hear more from you! :)