Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sea of Monsters (P.J. and the Olympians, Bk. 2) by Rick Riordan


When Thalia’s tree is mysteriously poisoned, the magical borders of Camp Half-Blood begin to fail. Now Percy and his friends have just days to find the only magic item powerful to save the camp before it is overrun by monsters. The catch: they must sail into the Sea of Monsters to find it. Along the way, Percy must stage a daring rescue operation to save his old friend Grover, and he learns a terrible secret about his own family, which makes him question whether being the son of Poseidon is an honor or a curse.


Ok, as much as I loved The Lightning Thief, this was WWWAAAAAYYYYY better. I loved the story. Since it didn't have all the "explaining" that the first one did, I felt that it was a really quick and enjoyable read. There were enough plot twists to keep me guessing (a little--C'mon, it's written for kids. My 11-yr old sister is reading them. It may keep someone her age guessing a bit longer.) EXCEPT, the end. I NEVER saw it coming, and it made me want to start the 3rd one right then. Some concepts were a bit predictable, but overall, I totally loved this book. I really like that, because they are written for young people, they are very clean. I would recommend this to even the most picky reader!

No comments: