Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale


Anidori -Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kilendree spent the first years of her life listening to her aunt's incredible stories, and learning the language of the birds. Little knowing how valuable her aunt's strange knowledge would prove to be when she grew older. From the Grimm's fairy tale of the princess who became a goose girl before she could become a queen, Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must understand her own incredible talents before she can overcome those who wish her harm.



I might get a hard time from a lot of people for this....but I LOVED this book. You see, about six months ago, my friends highly recommended this book to me. I picked it up from the library, started reading, and... put it back down, never (or so I thought) to pick it up ever again. The first chapter of this book was a struggle to get through. A struggle as in I almost had to super glue my eyes open. I know that I am not the only one who had had this problem either. The problem now with my aforementioned problem is that, because I put this book down as I was nearing the end of Chapter One, I've spent these past six months missing out on an amazing book.

Thank goodness I have friends that kept on my case to read it! I got it from the library in April, renewed it twice (because I had to give myself a pep talk every time I thought of picking it up), and finally on Sunday, I read it. Once I got past the first chapter, I couldn't put it down.

This book broke my heart over and over again-- from Ani's treatment by her family and then her friends and then her love interest. I was also very proud of Ani too. She overcame so much throughout the book that I could hardly believe she was the same character when I put the book down as she was when I met her a mere 400 pages earlier.

I say this a lot about books that I like, but I really don't want to say much for fear that I will give something away. I didn't know the Grimm's fairy tale of the Goose Girl, which I prefer when I read these retellings. So if you don't know the story, I don't want to ruin it for you now. All I can say is READ THIS BOOK! Skim the first chapter if you get bored, but DON'T STOP. Good luck!

1 comment:

Jamie VanBeekum said...

Goose Girl is still one of my absolute favorite books! It made me bawl my eyes out at the end. The rest of the books in the series are just as good, I promise!