Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How to Take The Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend by Janette Rallison

Sixteen-year-old Giovanna Petrizzo finds it hard enough to fit in. Three years since her family moved to Texas, she's still the newcomer compared to everyone around her. It doesn't help matters when her twin brother, Dante, takes on the mayor's son by running for class president. The least she could expect, though, would be for her boyfriend, Jesse, to support their cause. But Jesse's apparent defection triggers Giovanna's rash emotional side, and before she knows it, she's turned Jesse from the boy of her dreams to the exboyfriend she dreams of winning back.

This book surprised me... and not in a good way. I have read, and actually own a few other books by Janette Rallison, and I have loved them. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same fondness for this book. It was done in her usual witty, amusing style, but it just.. didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Some particular complaints:
  • Don't the names Giovanna and Dante make you think of rich brats? Arrarently not the case (on either count) in this book-- which was a little disappointing since I was so hyped up for catfights. ;)
  • Jesse is a cowboy. Of course he's a cowboy... Wranglers and boots. No thanks.
  • Texas??? Really??
I did kind of like Giovanna though (other than the mouthful of a name). She was a bit sassy and hot headed and stubborn. I must like her because I relate so well. Her scheming was pretty pathetic but amusing at the same time. This book had one of those "smiling heart" endings, but I would still pick up My Fair Godmother over this if you have a hankering for a Janette Rallison book. Good luck!

No comments: