Thursday, June 10, 2010

Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter by R. J. Anderson

Deep inside the great Oak lies a dying faery realm, bursting with secrets insead of magic. Long ago the faeries mysteriously lost thier magic. Robbed of their powers, they have become selfish and dull-witted. Now their numbers are dwindling and their very survival is at stake.

Only one young faery--Knife--is determined to find out where her people's magic has gone and try to get it back. Unlike her sisters, Knife is fierce and independent. She's not afraid of anything--not the vicious crows, the strict Faery Queen, or the fascinating humans who live nearby. But when Knife disobeys the Faery Queen and befriends a human named Paul, her quest becomes more dangerous than she realizes. Can Knife trust Paul to help, or has she brought the faeries even closer to the brink of destruction?

Dun-dun-dun... :) 

I absolutely loved this book. I must have been having fairy withdrawls, now that I'm over my "Jane Austen" phase. Anyway, I think this is the first book I've read with small fairies. (Fablehaven had small fairies but they weren't the main characters.) I thought that would be weird for me. I mean, really? Ten-inch-tall fairies?? With NO magic? So basically it's a book about midgets, right? Wrong. Knife was a pretty hardcore fairy. She was fearless and sassy and adventurous and....strong. I loved her!

When the book started, I thought it would take awhile for the story to pick up. I have to admit, I was yawning through the first few pages, but then she gets summoned by the Queen, given her occupation and the adventure begins.

I can't say much without giving a lot away so I'm jsut going to say, READ THIS!! This was a wonderful first novel from R. J. Anderson and I can't wait to see what she has up her sleeve next! Enjoy!

No comments: