Thursday, June 10, 2010

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.



When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?

This past weekend, we took a little camping trip up to a nice, quiet lake and it was so relaxing that I laid around and read. ALL WEEKEND. I bought this book a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in my room, collecting dust, because I refused to pick it up until my GIANT stack of books next to my bed was a very small stack of books. Or at least until it wasn't higher than the edge of my bed. ;) Well, this plan failed because I knew that this would be the perfect book to curl up with next to a peaceful lake. So, resolve--tossed, book--packed and read. And the verdict is in....

It was even better than Wings, the first book in the series. (Which if you read my review for Wings, you'll know that that is saying A LOT.) I must say though, I didn't really honestly know what this book was about, just that I loved the first book so much that I was dying to continue the story. I had no idea Laurel would go to Avalon for the summer-- so when she did, I was thinking, "Really?? This is what I've been waiting for?" Not that it wasn't neat to get a view into the fairy "world"-- I was kind of just waiting for Tamani to make a move. :) Then she goes home and the real action (no, not that kind) begins.

After reading this, I am still COMPLETELY in love with Tamani, really a little bugged at David, and I still can't wait to see what happens next. I can't wait to find out if my assumptions about the end of the book are true, or if my imagination is going a little out of control. I'm frustrated that I have to wait... AGAIN... but I know it'll be worth it. If you have not yet discovered this series, 1) shame on you! :)  and 2) get your butt to the library! You're missing out!

Happy reading!

No comments: