Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Torment by Lauren Kate

Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.

I remember not totally loving the first book in this series-- Fallen. It hooked me at the first and then was slow. This book was just the opposite. I had a hard time getting into it at first but then I couldn't put it down. I liked this book much better than the first, but it also left me (and Luce-- the main female character) with so many unanswered questions. I am anxious for the next installment, Passion, to be released this coming summer. I felt like I just got into the story and then it ended!

I liked Luce more this time around, and Daniel less.

Luce was more self-assured and assertive. I liked her spunk. You all know I hate "boo-hoo, woe is me" characters though. ;) Daniel--ugh. I understand his wanting to protect Luce, but it bothered me that he treated her like a child. Like he was constantly trying to show his dominance. I just thought that he was going about Luce's "protection" all wrong. He should have explained things to her.

Like I said, there were a lot of unanswered questions. The whole explaining-things-to-Luce problem was one of them. Daniel almost seemed like he wasn't allowed to tell her anything. He couldn't (or wouldn't) tell her about her past lives, he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell her why she was "locked up" at Shoreline. I want to know why she's so important. Why the fate of the world rests on her and Daniel. I want to know how they met, how it all started. There's so much I (and Luce) want to know that just wasn't in this book.

And is it bad that since Daniel was such a jerk in this one, I kind of want to root for Miles? I really liked him! (I'm not saying I will, just that if Daniel doesn't shape up in the next one, I may be forced to.)  :D

I think this is a series worth reading so far-- check them out!

Book 1: Fallen
Book 2 (this one): Torment
Book 3 (Summer 2011): Passion

Happy Reading! 


No comments: