Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood by Eileen Cook

Popularity is the best revenge.

In the final weeks of eighth grade, Lauren Wood made a choice. She betrayed her best friend, Helen, in a manner so publicly humiliating that Helen had to move to a new town just to save face. Ditching Helen was worth it, though, because Lauren started high school as one of the It Girls--and now, at the start of her senior year, she's the cheerleading captain, the quarterback's girlfriend, and the undisputed queen bee. Lauren has everything she's ever wanted, and she has forgotten all about her ex-best friend.


But Helen could never forget Lauren. After three years of obsessing, she's moving back to her old town. She has a new name and a new look, but she hasn't dropped her old grudges. She has a detailed plan to bring down her former BFF by taking away everything that's ever been important to Lauren—starting with her boyfriend.


Watch out, Lauren Wood. Things are about to get bitchy.

I swear to you all I am not plotting revenge on anyone. Though you may think it with all these "help karma out" books I've been reading lately. Funny enough, I don't think I've ever really tried to get hardcore revenge on anyone in my entire life. I just never was the type to hold a grudge. It is kind of fun to live vicariously through a fictional character though. And to get some awesome ideas in case I ever get a hankering for some juicy revenge...

I have to be honest-- I didn't love this book. Just coming off The Karma Club, this wasn't nearly as impressive. I did really like Helen/Claire though. Despite how hard she tried, I just don't think she had it in her to be a genuinely mean person like Lauren was. And I am glad for that, because Lauren was a BEAST. (The words I really need to use to describe her are words that I don't say, so use your imagination.) Helen/Claire was the type of girl you could hang out with. And she really was a great friend--unless you stabbed her in the back.

I also liked the moral of the story. I think it's so easy to get caught up in the "importance" of popularity. I know many girls stress about where they rank on the "food chain" that is high school. This book shows the importance of staying true to yourself, and being a good friend and a good person. That those things are infinitely more important. Lauren is the prime example that being popular doesn't necessarily equal being well-liked. I think it's so much more important to be well-liked. (And no, this is not coming from a high school loser who is saying that to try to make it true. It is true.)

The message is pretty clear-- be the bigger person. Forgive those who've wronged you and MOVE ON.

Although it isn't the best book I've ever read, I definitely think it's worth checking out for the message of the book. Get it from the library though. :)

Happy Reading!

No comments: