Friday, February 18, 2011

The Karma Club by Jessica Brody

Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma works. Do good things and you'll be rewarded, do something bad and Karma will make sure you get what you deserve. But when Maddy’s boyfriend cheats on her, nothing bad comes his way. That’s why Maddy starts the Karma Club, to clean up the messes that the universe has left behind. Sometimes, though, it isn’t wise to meddle with the universe. It turns out Karma often has plans of its own.


I got this book a couple months ago and it's been keeping my bookshelf warm. It looked so sad sitting there, pouting at me because it wasn't getting any attention-- much like my three-year-old does when I'm taking care of my infant. So, I thought I'd better give it a read. At first, this was easier said than done.

It took me a few attempts to get into this book, but once the Karma Club was formed, I was hooked. I loved their "operations", and the hilarious names they gave to each mission. I thought the twists in the story were perfectly executed, and by the time I closed this book, I had a smile on my face and a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart.

I loved the lessons the characters learned along the way, and I think the message in the book is one many can relate to and learn from, which is-- You don't mess with Karma, because it'll come for you. Like Cops with a camera crew, for the whole world to witness. And trust me, it won't be pretty.

This book is a must-read. I laughed out loud throughout most of it--which should be a testament in itself of this book. (That doesn't happen often!) The voice the story is told in was brilliant, I thought. It really seemed like a teenager telling the story. And not in a "like"/ "totally"/ "OMG" kind of way. This was one of the best light reads I've enjoyed in a while. Just... Read this.

Happy Reading!

No comments: