Friday, February 25, 2011

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...

I love the Beatles. I just thought I should throw that out there.
That said, any book centered around the Beatles is going to be good in my opinion.

I wasn't so impressed with the beginning of the book, but it's vital to the rest of the story. Without the chain of events set up at the beginning of the book, there would be no "Lonely Hearts Club". Let me paint a little picture for you-- Girl falls hard for guy, guy sweet talks girl into becoming some crazy, clingy, check-the-phone-every-thirty-seconds-in-case-he-calls, ditch-friends-for-boyfriend kind of traitor and then girl gets burned by guy or guys in succession. Girl gets fed up with it all, maybe has a mini public freak out, and swears off men completely. Puh-lease. I went to high school. I've SO been there.

Enter Penny Lane and the Lonely Hearts Club (L.H.C.). Enter girl power. You think I'm kidding. This book really was an example of women empowering each other and encouraging each other to live their dreams... for about 5 minutes. Then Penny turned into Dr. Jekell and Mr. Hyde. Poor thing. She just needed a man in her life. And I'm not talking about John, Paul, George, and Ringo. :)

(Okay, so maybe it was more than 5 minutes...)

I really did like this book. I thought it was hilarious that Penny's sisters were named after Beatles songs, too. Really, her parents were obsessed. I loved Penny's parents. Especially in a particular scene when they go meet with the principal who is having concerns about the effect of the L.H.C. on the student population. By the end of the scene, I couldn't quit smiling. I was so proud of Penny's parents. They were just what parents should be. Even if they were a little on the crazy-obsessive side.

Just read this. Even if you hate it, you'll get to have Beatles lyrics running through your mind for a few days! Can't go wrong there.

Happy Reading!

No comments: