Friday, February 11, 2011

Haven by Kristi Cook

Release Date: February 22, 2011
  One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future.

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven.

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.
 
I loved this book. The end.
 
When I started reading, my first thought was that the story was so unoriginal. Really? Girl goes to a new school feeling awkward and alone, enter hot guy who keeps to himself who is suddenly totally in love with said girl. I mean, c'mon. Ringing any bells?? I bet you can think of at least 50 off the top of your head. Is this not the storyline in about half of all YA books out there right now?? So, I wasn't thrilled.
 
Then, however...
 
I kept reading.
 
Turns out, this is probably my favorite "retelling" of the same old story. There were twists that I didn't expect. There were concepts that I thought were brilliant that made it so much more intriguing to me than other versions. And really, I need to quit comparing it to anything else, because it was a book on it's own level.
 
This was such an easy, quick read, but I loved the story. Other than the obvious beginning, it was like nothing I've read in a long time. I am dying to tell you why and explain more, but I honestly can't without giving something away.
 
I'd put this on your "To Buy" list. It's definitely worth it.
 
Happy Reading!

***EDIT: I apologize. I forgot some very important information in this post. I was so caught up in my thoughts of the book that these other things just slipped my mind. Forgive me! As this is not published yet, I added the release date of this book at the top of the post. Also, I would like to acknowledge Simon & Schuster, who I received this egalley from for the purpose of review.

2 comments:

Good Choice Reading said...

Yay! I am so glad you liked it! I loved Haven and really hope there is second part to it.

I did not see any similarities to other YA books until after I was done reading and my cousin pointed it out. Honestly, I still don't really see it. lol


I loved it and thought it was different in so many ways and stood out from other books.

:-) Great Review!

Midnyte Reader said...

I've been hearing good things about this. I'm looking forward to reading it.